Below is a brief re-cap of my recent medical challenge.
- August 14th I felt some pain and discomfort in my lower left abdomen. It was bothersome enough that I slept and rested for most of the day.
- August 15th this pain and discomfort remained. I cancelled my train trip into Russian Siberia that I was due to make on August 18th. I consulted with a doctor in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. After a hands-on inspection, an ultrasound examination, and a CT Scan, my doctor said that my left kidney had a significant mass measuring approximately 4cm x 3.4cm. He recommended that I return to the United States for further examination and evaluation.
- August 24th I flew from Ulaanbaatar to Hong Kong.
- August 29th I flew from Hong Kong to Seattle where Patti and and I joined-one-another and flew to Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- August 30th Patti and I drove to Rochester, Minnesota, where Patti had arranged an appointment with the medical team here at the Mayo Clinic for today, Friday, September 1st.
- August 31st I did all of my pre-appointment requirements. Urine drop, blood test, CT Scan.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Today, Friday, September 1st at 2PM Patti and I met with my doctor here at the Mayo Clinic.
Basically my Mayo doctor agreed with my Mongolian doctor with regard to there being a ‘mass’ in my left kidney.
He gave us a very thorough run-down about his findings and concluded that..
In his medical opinion, we should do absolutely nothing at this point in time. The ‘mass’ in my left kidney is a cyst that contains primarily water. There is about a 1% chance of the cyst being malignant. If we were to do a biopsy, the risk of complications being 12% far outweighs any benefits.
He asked me to return in 6-months for further evaluation. I have total trust in the Mayo medical team.
Sign us as being extremely relieved.
I am not willing to say that this was much-ado-about-nothing. I am extremely pleased that I took the above steps.
Patti and Cap
- AUG 31, 17 .. MAYO CLINIC.. ROCHESTER, MINNESOTA.. PART I
- SEP 2, 17 .. AND NOW.. THE BIG LET-DOWN.. THE AFTERMATH.. HAS ENGULFED THE TWO OF US..