Two friends, Bob and Carolyn, asked me about my (left) kidney. I figure that if they have questions, maybe others will also have questions, so I decided to do a time-line review of my left kidney situation.
This episode happened during my visit and stay in Ulaanbaatar, the capital city of Mongolia, during August of 2017.
Aug 14 .. Upon awakening, I noticed some pain / discomfort in my lower left abdomen area. I took it easy the rest of the day.
Aug 15 .. The pain / discomfort remained. I cancelled a fully booked and paid for train trip into Southern Russian Siberia to visit friends in the city of Irkutsk. This was a major decision because a friend from Mongolia was going with me so I had to cancel his trip as well. I did not want to go into Russian Siberia and have a medical crisis.
I went to a hospital / clinic in Ulaanbaatar and was seen by a doctor. After a hands-on and ultrasound examination, he diagnosed my problem as one involving my left kidney. He then sent me to another hospital for a CT Scan.
Aug 16 .. I saw my doctor and he advised me that the CT Scan showed a possible tumor in my left kidney and insisted that I return to the United States for further evaluation.
Patti flew into action and arranged an appointment for me with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.
I flew from Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia, to Hong Kong, China.
Aug 29 .. I flew from Hong Kong and met Patti in Seattle, Washington. We two then flew to Minneapolis, Minnesota. A friend drove our truck from Royal Oak to Minneapolis and met us at the airport. We three over-nighted in Minneapolis.
Aug 30 .. We drove to Rochester, Minnesota, the home of the Mayo Clinic.
Sep 1 .. After getting a CT Scan at the Mayo Clinic, my doctor said that the CT Scan showed a liquid filled cyst NOT a tumor. The chance of cancer is less than 1%. The chance of problems with performing a biopsy is 12%. I agreed not to pursue a biopsy at this time.
His Prognosis : We will wait for six months and re-evaluate the situation then.
Both Patti and I were so stunned with this good / great news that we were numb. We felt at the very least a biopsy would be performed.
This brings you all up-to-date on my kidney issue. Thanks so much for you interest.
Patti and Cap
- NOV 9, 17 .. IS WINTER REALLY HERE IN ANCHORAGE?
- NOV 15, 17 .. DELETE BEFORE READING